Friday, November 18, 2016
Newsflash – USCIS Publishes New Version of Form I-9 for Use by U.S. Employers
USCIS has published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, effective January 22, 2017, to reduce errors and to enhance form completion using a computer.
For now, employers may continue using the current version of the Form I-9 (dated 03/08/2013), however, on or after January 22, 2017, employers must use only the new I-9 form dated 11/14/2016 for all new hires. Users can find the version date of the form by checking the date printed on the bottom left corner of each page.
We advise employers to start implementing the new version of the form immediately, or as soon as possible.
Revisions for new version of Form I-9 include:
- Employees only need to provide “other last names used” in Section 1, rather than “all names used.”
- The certification in Section 1 for certain foreign nationals takes less time to complete.
- There are additional spaces to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- There is a dedicated area to enter additional information that employers have been required to notate in the margins of the form.
- The Form I-9 Instructions have been separated from the form and include specific instructions for completing each field.
- Checks to certain fields to ensure information is entered correctly.
- Drop-down lists and calendars.
- Instructions on the screen that users can access to complete each field.
- Buttons that will allow users to access the instructions electronically, print the form, and clear the form to start over.