Immigration Services

Immigration Services

For Artists & Entertainers

I Nonimmigrant Visa for Representatives of Foreign Media

In order to qualify in the I visa category, the you must:
  • Represent a foreign information media outlet (e.g., press, radio, film, print or other foreign information media);
  • Intend to engage in this profession in the United States; and
  • Maintain a home office in a foreign country.
We must also demonstrate that your activities are essential to the functions of your foreign media employer. To be eligible for the media visa, your activity in the U.S. must be associated with the news gathering process, reporting on actual current events.

An initial I visa application must be filed directly at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad, with future extensions filed either abroad or with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). I visas can be granted for an initial period necessary to complete the reporting assignment, and can be extended as necessary. The I visa allows the beneficiary to work only for the foreign media employer and does not allow other employment in the U.S. The beneficiary may change employers by filing an I transfer petition with USCIS or by applying for a new I visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad.

Spouses and children of I visa holders are classified as I “dependents.” Holders of I “dependent” status are not entitled to work in the United States.

21700 Oxnard Street, Suite 860, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 T 818.435.3500 F 818.435.3535